Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Kaja's Kindergarten Registration

Today, I took Kaja over to school for her Kindergarten registration. I can hardly believe that she's old enough to be going to kindergarten. I signed her up for PM kindergarten since she doesn't wake up until 9:15 and school starts at 9:00. She will get bussed to and from school.

For those of you who have talked to me in the last week, you know that I have been torn up about this. Her pre-school teacher feels like she needs to be in a transition kindergarten, an in between preschool and kindergarten classroom. Paul and I didn't think she needed it and wanted to do what was best for Kaja.

So...today when I took Kaja, they did a small assessment of her. I didn't tell the lady anything about Kaja beforehand. She passed with flying colors and the lady said she was right on par for Kindergarten.

Here are some of the things she did:
  • Named all her colors
  • Rote Counted past 10
  • Counted at least up to 5 blocks while touching them
  • Rhymed words, the lady said that she was giving additional words that rhymed instead of just the one
  • Named various pictures quickly, they tested response speed
  • When asked for sounds, soap starts with what sound? She was able to give the sound AND the letter
  • When the lady said bas-ket like a robot, Kaja was to combine the sound into the word and did great
  • Knew 16 out of 26 lowercase letters, pretty good since I have been working on upper case letters instead, I didn't know they started with lowercase.
  • Wrote her name, but backwards, the lady said that this was something to work on, but we already knew that and that she did really well holding the pencil
  • Cut with scissors, she wanted to just cut pieces, not the circle, but she can cut and the lady said that she held the scissors correctly.

I felt much better leaving after this assessment about putting Kaja in "regular" kindergarten. I know that Kaja will do so well wherever she is and feel that this is where she needs to be.

I asked Kaja if she was excited for school. She said, "Mom, it isn't school, it's Kindergarten". She asked if she could go to Kindergarten tomorrow.

3 comments:

Dave and Amy said...

She is the sweetest little girl. I am so glad that she did well and that you are feeling good about the decision. She will do great.

Brandon and Tina Goss said...

Wow! I can't believe she's going to Kindergarten so soon! She'll do great!

I also can't beleive you only have 32 days until your due date! That is just around the corner! Hope you are felling good!

B Flat Major said...

She sounds like she'll do fine. I wonder if her preschool teacher was thinking of the transitional class from more of a social perspective, because her pre-assessment sounds like it went great.

Let Kaja know that she already beats me with her mad scissor skills. I flunked "Uses Scissors Properly" in kindergarten.