Thursday, January 24, 2008

Kaja has an Asthma Reaction

Lately, Kaja has been having a cough at night. On Tuesday night, it got really bad and then on Wednesday, it progressively got worse. She was barely going a minute without coughing and sometimes had a hard time getting her words out. I finally took her into the doctor. She was running a fever and the doctor thought she might have pneumonia. Boy, did I feel like a bad mom for missing that one. Turns out, she was just having an asthma reaction to a cold. She used to have these more often when she was little. She had a breathing treatment and the cough got worse. The doctor said it's because it opens up more and allows her to start working through all the junk in her lungs. The doctor gave us a prescription for oral steroids. We haven't had to do anything like this for 2 years. The doctors said that was a really good sign for Kaja.

By the time we got home, she wasn't coughing as much, but was getting more sick. She ended up sleeping on the couch and being pretty miserable. I ran out to get her prescription and some things at Costco. By the time I got home, Kaja felt much better. Paul had taken her outside to help break her fever and she had eaten some dinner. She slept much better last night and is hardly coughing anymore.

I am really surprised at how fast she got over this asthma episode. She got over it faster than before. I think it's because she is bigger and stronger now and her lungs have got so much better at healing themselves.

No comments: